The following two required fields Standardized Rights Statement and Title) must be found in the Data Provider’s original metadata.
We have the following requirements for the rights field:
- The field must only have the URI from rightsstatements.org or creativecommons.org and no other text in the field.
- Note the URI differs from the URLs found on rightsstements.org. Please use the URIs as seen below:
✓ http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/ (Correct URI)
✗ http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/?language=en (Incorrect URL)
- The field must not contradict or repeat information found in the local rights field. If you wish to put the text of the rights statement in a second rights field, we will only harvest the fields with the URI, but we must have at least one field that only has the rights URI field.
- To see a full list of acceptable values, check the DPLA Github.
- At ODN, we recommend using the Rights Statements over Creative Commons licenses for most items. In most cases the library who is providing the resource is not the creator of the resource and is not able to provide a license for the material in the same way a creator is. In addition, the 12 rights statements are written to be easily understood by the public, to easily to determine what they can legally do with your resources. Since the goal of DPLA is to provide access, we recommend using as clear rights and licenses as possible.
We do not have any formatting requirements for the title, except it must be present in your metadata. DPLA does recommend that the title is as descriptive as possible.
The following four required fields (Data Provider, Collection, Is Shown At and Preview) are usually found automatically from Data Provider’s OAI-PMH Feed, or other relevant information.
We will use the OAI-PMH Set name for this field. If you want use a different name, please note that and any questions on your mapping template. DPLA does not currently display this information on the public side of the website, but has plans to display it in the future.
We will use name providers list as the “Institution Name” on the ODN Mapping Template for this field. The institution name will be identical for all items for all items in a collection. DPLA will display this information as “Contributing Institution” on their website.
Often this information is found in the <Identifier> field depending on the Digital Asset Management System institutions use. Some Digital Asset Management Systems may put the information in the dc:identifier field. DPLA will display this information as the “URL” on their website.
Often this information is found in the dc:identifier field depending on the Digital Asset management system used. Some Digital Asset Management Systems may put the information in the dc:identifier field. Occasionally institutions may have to request that systems administers program this item. DPLA will display as a thumbnail image in searches, and on the item record on their website. Some items such as audio and video files are not required to have thumbnails. If your items do not have a natural thumbnail please do not use a default image for this field. Please take a moment to review your collections thumbnails. If your system is using default thumbnails please let us know, so that we can remove them during our XSTL transform.